Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Patrick's Guest Blog


            Well, I just finished my interview paper and believe that I can now close the digital folder that encompassed my contributions to the conversation that was EDLD 671.  I watered my herb garden and went in search of my remote and that perfectly broken-in spot on the couch.  I never got there, though, I just couldn’t shake the sense that I’d forgotten something . . . which brings me to this, and you.
            Rest assured, it was never my intention to be the anchorman in this relay of thought.  I spent enough time running track to know that that position goes to the strongest runner on the relay team; these days I only run if I need to break up a fight between students!  You can be certain that the level of prowess I’m about to demonstrate will be no greater.  Then again, sometimes an exemplary team develops such a massive lead that the anchorman only needs to not blow it!  So here I go.
            I don’t know about the rest of the cohort, but I’ve never seen three weeks pass by so quickly.  I haven’t even recovered from the shoulder injury I got on the challenge course and our summer session is already over.  Although I must admit, when the computer in room 313 started trying to restart itself on the last day of class exactly as it had on the first day of class and at no point in between I began to wonder if actually no time had passed at all.  I love and fear that kind of symmetry, but that’s a different topic all together. 
I gained a huge amount of knowledge in that room and loved the opportunity to learn from Dr. Davis and solve leadership dilemmas with PC 2011.  Living in Oxford, however, was less exciting than I imagined it would be.  Some of the best times took place outside of town, at Dr. Davis’s farm, Dr. McClelland’s pool, and, of course, back home in Marks.
            Needless to say, it’s nice to be home.  I’ve been at work each of the past three days, supposedly to avoid the distractions offered by Netflix and my DVR in a desperate effort to finish all the coursework.  Now is the time to laugh . . .  all you educators know that school is no place to avoid distractions.  The staff has acclimatized to my return and over the past three days I’ve gotten more and more referrals and less and less accomplished.  But the course work is done now.  Tomorrow I can sleep in.  Or maybe I’ll go to school to avoid doing dishes.  Or because there’s coffee there.  Or because just it’s great to be back!  I already find myself analyzing things differently through the lenses of shared decision-making or informal organizations.  PC has been a wonderful opportunity, and I can’t wait until the next course.
      And with that I’ve finally crossed the finish line.  My thanks to anyone who persevered through these preceding 498 words and got there with me!
Patrick is the Dean of Students for Quitman County Schools

  
            

No comments:

Post a Comment